Thursday, January 3, 2013

"Next To Me", Emeli Sandé's Amazing Single That America Ignored (The First Time)

5/5

The general public would be surprised to learn that Adele's 21 wasn't the best-selling album in the UK in 2012.

It was actually Emeli Sandé's debut album, Our Version of Events, that topped the year-end sales charts across the pond.

The album was also released last year here in the States, but didn't do much, peaking at #28. It would have done much better had they actually pushed the album's lead single "Next To Me" to pop radio. Well, it's better late than never, and Sandé is getting a legitimate push in America. Thank goodness, because she is too exciting of a talent to be ignored. I cannot believe I am invoking the name of Whitney Houston, but Sandé is giving me "How Will I Know" vibes. Not that "Next To Me" is a frothy dance-pop gem, but it is such an instant, undeniable record that I wouldn't be able to explain it's chart failure except to say that radio programmers are idiots. It is a fascinating, uptempo, gospel-pop tune that would certainly make Whitney proud. The hook is brilliant and warm, and Sandé's voice is powerful and crystal-clear.

Forgive me for what may seem as overzealous praise, but I don't get this excited often. I can't help but think of other humungous pop debuts, like Mariah and "Vision of Love", or Leona with "Bleeding Love". Mark my words, if her label plays it right, Emeli Sandé will become the next big name in pop music.

If you haven't heard "Next to Me", please listen below!

No comments:

nrelate