Monday, May 23, 2011

Album Review: Lady Gaga's Born This Way Deluxe Tracks



Born This Way is out today, and it seems like everyone is here for the deluxe edition (unless you're buying the album for $0.99 at Amazon.com). Since I left them out of the original review I did, here is my official review of the album's extra bits:

Black Jesus + Amen Fashion - Of all of the Madonna comparisons that the tracks on this album have and will receive, this might just be the most authentic. This song sounds like a lost track from one of Madonna's last albums, like Hard Candy or American Life (I personally here "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You"). That said, it's a pretty groovy track about how Gaga clawed her way up to fame. There's also something about Black Jesus, which you can interpret as a Madonna reference if you'd like ("Like a Prayer" video) or, as Gaga puts it, that Jesus is back in fashion. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Harold Camping. 7.5/10


Fashion of His Love - Anyone who's been complaining that they want "old Gaga" back can rejoice in this song. This harkens back to the days of The Fame, with its light, fluffy lyrics and pure electropop sound. It is refreshing to hear Gaga without all of the vocal embellishments that have colored her songs of late. What makes the song special for me is the inclusion of a line from the epic unfinished song "Then You'd Love Me", which I was praying would be on this album. It was a nice touch at the end. This song should have been on the standard edition ("Bad Kids" could have been an extra"). 9/10


The Queen - I'll just be frank here: this song didn't need to be on this, or any edition of the album. I would've rather it be a b-side or something. I just can't get into this at all, but I'm sure her fans will adore it since it is clearly a tribute to them. It also sounds like something Cher should sing in her Vegas show, except she wouldn't because even she isn't this cheesy. 4/10

No comments:

nrelate