Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Download of the Day (10/14): "Somebody to Love" by Leighton Meester and Robin Thicke

When I first reported of Leighton Meester's plans for a pop music career, I completely laughed it off. I have always been weary of the actor-turned-singers and I wasn't expecting anything from her at all.

Then I heard "Good Girls Go Bad", her brilliantly pop collaboration with Cobra Starship, and decided maybe she wasn't crazy after all.

Proving she isn't a one-trick pony, Leighton is moving forward with her debut album and has released the first single, "Somebody to Love". No, its not a cover of the iconic Queen song. Instead, its a churning, slow-burning disco groove, featuring R&B's smoothest crooner Robin Thicke. They both sound like melted butter against the synthy dream, with Leighton continuing to surprise me with her ability. She has an incredibly sexy purr to her voice that could easily set anyone off. It aids her her surprisingly smoky voice well.

If the "Good Girls" and this new single are any indication, than her debut album, due out by the end of the year, is one worth anticipating.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

nrelate