Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Dark Knight: Movie Review

image

It doesn't take very long for me to write movie reviews. When I sit home at the laptop, I can easily point out what I loved or hated about a film. Yet, somehow, it took me a day and a number of rewrites to finally decide what I thought of The Dark Knight.

Why?

Because  The Dark Knight is much more than a superhero film (which is what I have reviewed so far). It's more than a commentary on the strength of human will and the power of morality in society. The movie was an experience, one unparalleled to anything I have taken part of in my movie-going life. The sequel to the critically-acclaimed Batman Begins had the effect high-definition technology has been promising; engrossing, powerful, beautiful, as if you were actually there.

If there hadn't been light chatter and three rows of seats in my peripheral vision, I would've forgotten I was watching a fictional film. Director Christopher Nolan has proven himself a master filmmaker, using his skill and inspired vision to create a living, breathing city with three dimensional characters with complexity not often seen in his genre.

The story is very fast-paced, even with a running time past 2 1/2 hours. You don't realize it though; the movie never allows for the viewer to become bored. You will surely be entertained, and shocked when you find out that 2 hours have passed and the action is still in full force. However, the quick, take-no-prisoners movement slightly affected the smaller elements of the film. The movie makes it clear that there is a love triangle between Batman/Bruce Wayne, DA Harvey Dent, and Rachel Dawes, but it doesn't really go in depth into it. It may not seem important, but the lack of definition could confuse the viewer as the story makes one of its many twists and turns. Other than that, the story is quite awesome.

The cast is easily the strongest I have seen in a while. Christian Bale is great as both Batman and Bruce Wayne. My only gripe is Batman's voice. I get he is "The Dark Knight", but his voice doesn't have to sound like he eats gravel for lunch. I like Bale more as Bruce, and when he was technically both (you'll see what I mean). Aaron Eckhart impressed me as Harvey Dent, Gotham's "White Knight". He fit the moniker like a glove, portraying a man with an earnest desire to see justice served in Gotham. He does it with about lame or pathetic, and you sympathize with him when the burden of being the city's savior begins to wear on him. I don't want to spoil his story, but he is fantastic in both halves of the film (especially the second half). Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman made supporting roles far more important, and I enjoyed them all. Maggie Gyllenhaal, who played Rachel Dawes, was okay, but I didn't really care for her character at all.

Then, there was the Joker. Everyone has been talking about Heath Ledger's performance, with good reason. The rest of the cast was amazing, yet Ledger outshined them all with one of the greatest performances I have seen in my entire life. He owned the film from the minute he pulled off the mask in the first five minutes and drove away with the cash in a school bus. Every scene he was in was mesmerizing. It was evident that he engrossed himself in this role. Miles away from the cartoonish versions of Batman's past, this villain was just that. Ledger's version was nothing short of brilliance, injecting a dose of unpredictable evil that was never present. Even in the humorous scenes, you still knew the guy was a nutjob. You never know what the Joker will do next, yet Ledger makes you realize how it all comes together. His performance was extremely exciting and terrifying, a potent combination. The Oscar buzz surrounding him is not unfounded; in fact, if he is not at least nominated for Best Actor, I will denounce the Academy Awards as a farce and never watch it again. It's just criminal for his performance to go unawarded.

The Dark Knight's crowning achievement (besides Ledger) was its discussion on the human psyche. Although Arkham Asylum was rarely mentioned, the movie was practically a sociological documentary. Every character in the film was forced to confront the line between good and evil. Everyone (except the Joker) had to confront those urges that everyone has; to get what we want, no matter the consequences for others. Some are able to handle the pressure, while others crumble beneath it. The movie also touches on the importance hope has on society. Harvey Dent was Gotham's hope for a better, brighter future. It's something Batman recognizes, and he does his best to keep it alive, all the way to end.

Visually, the movie is a masterpiece, without the IMAX. The colors are rich and the action is amazing. Batman's gadgets are also cool. The only problem I had was with the Batmobile. I, for one, missed the the sleek one from the past films. This new model looks like a mini monster truck. It definitely isn't attractive. The only good thing about this one was that the ejection mechanism pushed out Batman's kick-ass motorcycle.

The Dark Knight transcends the genre, expanding its relevance way past the fans of the comic book, action figures, and past films. It's a dark film that not only makes the characters question their values, it makes the viewer take a cold, hard look at themselves. Its realism is so great that you wonder how you would react if you were in the same situation.

When I left the film, I couldn't even begin to process what I just saw. The only solid thought that formed in my head was that The Dark Knight is the best superhero movie I have ever seen, and that it will go down as the gold standard of the entire genre.

Rating: A

No comments:

nrelate