Tuesday, May 13, 2008

American Idol Top 3 Recap: Song Choice Clunkers

Seriously, some of the the song choices were so bizarre, it was ridiculous.

David Archuleta - I thought the first song by Billy Joel was pretty good, but very predictable. His second performance of Chris Brown's "With You" was cringe-inducing. Not because he sang it badly, because he didn't (despite a minor word flub). What was horribly awkward was him singing that kind of song. Some of the lyrics ("Hey little mama, ooh you're a stunner") he sang made me LOL because I was so embarrassed for him. He didn't seem comfortable at all. His last song "Longer" was much better, but not necessarily memorable.

Syesha Mercado - I liked her performance of "I Ain't Got You". I loved her performance of "Fever". She's very comfortable acting while she sings, a talent that could carry into many different directions, whether its pop star, Broadway, or even movies (hello Jennifer Hudson). I thought "Hit Me Up" was an act of sabotage by the producers. Syesha is a singer, and it was obvious she wasn't comfortable with such a poppy uptempo song. Then again, she wasn't going to the Finals anyway.

David Cook - I didn't care for any of his song choices, surprisingly. I kinda liked "The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face", but I didn't like how he "Cooked" the song toward the end. It's a tender, haunting ballad. He should've given it the same treatment he gave "Music of the Night". I hated "Dare You To Move", although the song is on my iPod. I just don't think it suited him or his voice or his style. Finally, the arrangement of "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" was weird and disarming, but he did a good job.

Worst of the Night: None

Who's Going Home: Syesha (Unless the demons of hell come up to consume "The Hills" cast, she won't break through the impenetrable David-squared finale.

BTW, if you liked any of the performances from this season, get them before they're taken off iTunes next week!

No comments:

nrelate