Monday, April 28, 2008

The Hills: A Serious Examination of America's Favorite Guilty Pleasure (4/28)

image

Well, I did it. At 10:00pm, I sat on my bed and turned to channel 20, MTV. What was on? The Hills. For purely journalistic reasons, I decided to sit down and watch an episode, to see what about this show is so important that two of the cast members would be attendees at a White House dinner.

Here are some of my notes:

The conversations on this show are so vapid, it makes me realize why I love scripted television. Whether it was Lauren and Lo or Lauren and Stephen Colletti (Chase from One Tree Hill), their discussions were completely hollow. No wonder the show is accused of faking stuff; they have to make this show the least bit interesting.

Heidi is a petulant child. When she and Spencer's sister Stephanie talked about Lauren, Heidi basically attacked Stephanie for being friends with her. She even asked, "where is your loyalty?". I didn't realize that people were supposed to have mutual friends only! I also didn't realize that they were still in high school. Newsflash, genius: people are allowed to have other friends that YOU may not approve of. If you can't handle it, find other friends who will kiss your ass (same applies to Lauren Re: Audrina and Justin).

Brody Jenner has been on so many reality shows, its ridiculous. Is it a coincidence that he was also on Keeping Up With The Kardashians and The Princes of Malibu? I think not.

The only member of The Hills that doesn't annoy me is Whitney Port. For one, she's prettier than both Lauren and Heidi. Second, she's smarter than them, making me wonder why she even bothers hanging out with them. She is the only one who could actually hold a conversation without boring someone to tears, and she has a pretty good head on her shoulders. Confidence and class wins over cheap skanky beach music videos any day for me.

Audrina, Audrina, Audrina. Easily the hottest girl, but yet, dense as a ton of bricks. Why is she such an empty vessel? She seems so easy to manipulate and control. Lauren has done it. Justin has apparently done it as well. Why doesn't she tell everyone to suck it and move on with her life? She may not be very bright (did she even graduate high school? Or have a job?), but she can't be stupid enough to think that these people surrounding her are beneficial in the long run.

No comments:

nrelate