Saturday, April 26, 2008

First Listen: "A Little Bit Longer" by the Jonas Brothers

image It didn't take long, huh?

It turns out the Jonas Brothers have already performed "A Little Bit Longer" on their huge "When You Look Me In The Eyes" tour. The song will appear on their next album with the same name, and will probably be the next single, following "Burning Up".

I have heard two versions; there is the concert version with the ridiculous screaming girls (seriously, how are they able to speak after that?) and the Stripped version. Because the concert version is basically inaudible, I chose to base this review on the other version.

Lyrically, the song is pretty amazing. I was surprised at how bluntly he referenced diabetes, the disease he has. Some of the lines were quite heartbreaking and struck a chord with me, as a fellow diabetic, like:

So I'll wait 'til kingdom come.
All the highs and lows are gone.
A little bit longer and I'll be fine.

Its even more surprising considering Nick is only a year younger than me, yet he is able to write something so poignant and powerful. There is something to be said for that kind of talent.

However, there is still one problem that is really keeping me from fully enjoying this song and others from the band, and that is the vocals. I will grant Nick the acknowledgement that he sings the song with a lot of emotional depth. However, there is something still very annoying about his voice. He's not a bad singer, but when he hits his higher register, it doesn't work and makes it hard to listen to. Maybe the completion of puberty will rectify the issue, I don't know. Musically, its a simple piano ballad in the beginning, then halfway through, Joe and Kevin come in with the guitars and the song morphs into a pop-rock ballad. The song goes back to the sole piano when the above lyrics are sung.

Objectively, its one of the best songs I have heard come out of the new Disney pop era, and hasn't even been officially released yet. It's because it isn't about something saccharine or juvenile; its a serious topic discussed frankly and honestly by a guy wiser than his years imply.

I will make my final decision about the song when I hear the final version recorded, but from what I hear, this could be the song that helps break them from the terrible Disney stigma.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

nrelate