Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sleeping With Eyes Open: American Idol Top 8 Boys

Man, was I bored by tonight's American Idol!

I shouldn't have been, especially since this is the last chance they have to impress the audience before we decided the Top 12. Despite a number of lackluster performances, here's my Best and Worst of the night:

Best:
David Archuleta (Another Day in Paradise) - It is virtually impossible to top the pitch-perfect performance he delivered last week with "Imagine", and he didn't. It was still easily the best of the night, even though the song was a bit dreary. I agreed with Simon; lighten it up for next week (there's no way in H-E-L-L he's not going to the Top 12)

Jason Castro (Hallelujah) - Originally, I though it was pretty uninteresting. Then, after listening to it again (and seeing Jeff Buckley's version skyrocket to the top 5 on iTunes) I realized something; Jason just had a genius performance. It had some wobbly notes, but all in all, it was vulnerable, yet powerful moment for someone who's been in Idol limbo these last few weeks. He's also one of the only people who has consistently chosen the right song for his voice.

Michael Johns (Don't You Forget About Me) - Interesting choice of song. I happen to like The Breakfast Club, so it was kind of cool seeing him do it. He sang it well, although he still really hasn't wowed me just yet. He's definitely an in.

Chikezie (All The Woman That I Need) - Although he sang it in the auditions, and its a Whitney song (a HUGE no-no), it was still great, although not as good as last week's performance. I think he just coasted a bit here. Still, expect to see him next Tuesday

David Cook (Hello) - He gets my "Best of the Night", not just because he gave a truly great performance. He took a sappy 29-year old Lionel Richie song and made it something that could be playing on the radio right now. I absolutely loved it, and he can definitely step up near Archuleta for front-runner status if he continues like that.

Worst:
Luke Menard (Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go) - This SOB has inspired me to write a list of songs you shouldn't sing for my new post. Is he freaking kidding me? George Michael? It was horrible, and he proved that last night's voting results were wrong. Worst of the Night.

David Hernandez (It's All Coming Back To Me Now) - Although the song was originally releases in 1989, the song was made famous by Celine Dion. Celine Dion. For heaven's sake, AI contestants, don't sing her songs! Period! The mighty definitely have fallen here. After a blockbuster performance last week, he fell right back to where he was two weeks ago. I think he'll be safe, but still, it wasn't good. (BTW, I will comment on his gay stripper thing later)

Danny Noriega (Tainted Love) - For me, he's this year's Sanjaya. Why? Because I swear, in the beginning, he was good. For someone reason now, however, he's bombing, consistently. The arrangement made it impossible to recognize; plus, the vocals just weren't there again. I think it's time to pull out the ponyhawk.

Who's Going Home: Luke Menard, Danny Noriega

No comments:

nrelate