Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Five Ways Game of Thrones's "Red Wedding" Ruined My Life

The fateful wedding reception...
From Sunday night through Monday morning, my Facebook timeline was flooded with reactions to the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones, which featured the apparently-infamous "Red Wedding". Of course, I'm never one to miss a pop culture event, so I wanted to see what the big deal was.

I spent the next three days bingeing on Game of Thrones via HBO Go (I had tried to get into the show last year, but I stopped after episode six of the first season because I got distracted). I finally reached the ninth episode of this season at 9am this morning, thinking I was prepared for just about anything.

I was terribly, terribly wrong.

After I finished running through my apartment screaming like a madman after the credits rolled for about twenty minutes, I ate lunch and then curled up into my bed and took a nap. Yes, the "Red Wedding" took that much of a toll on my spirit.

Now that I've calmed down, I'm ready to examine why I, and millions of viewers, had such a reaction. Here they are:

P.S. IF FOR SOME REASON YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS EPISODE (WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR EXACTLY?) DO NOT READ BELOW, AND GO WATCH IT!

So. Much. Death.
Without even getting into the actual characters who died, this is easily one of the deadliest, bloodiest, goriest episodes that has ever aired on television. Literally every character who had the misfortune to be in that damn reception hall was killed. Even the damn direwolf was killed. The wolf! You barely had time to react to any one death, because another one came right after it. It was so overwhelming that when the screen went black, you realized that you finally started breathing again. And then you proceed to have a complete nervous breakdown once you realize who was actually killed.

The Leaders of The Starks Were Slaughtered. In Five Minutes.
As an avid TV watcher, the killing off of a major character, let alone a lead character, is unheard of (unless the actor decides to quit or something, but even then they usually just move away). The killing of three major characters is unthinkable. Yet, Robb, Catelyn, and Talisa Stark were all butchered with five minutes of each other. Yes I know it was in the books, but damn. So much stock was put into Robb leading the rebellion, and to have him shot and then stabbed just completely threw me for a loop. Catelyn, the long-suffering matriarch, had to watch her eldest son killed, and then was killed herself. How do you kill two principal characters, the leaders of the Stark family? The Starks are essentially over as a family, and it only took five minutes to do it. What kind of logic?

They Killed The Baby!
I've watched enough Law and Order: SVU to see some pretty awful things done to pregnant women, but seeing Talisa Stark stabbed repeatedly in the stomach was by far the most horrific thing ever. I get its wartime and the Freys were betrayed and revenge and all that, but to kill her, through the baby? Damn.

Why Aren't The Lannisters DEAD YET?!?!
Ok, I'll rephrase: why aren't Cersei and Joffrey dead yet? I've warmed up to Jaime after his bath scene with Lady Stark's knight, and I live for Tyrion. But how the hell are Cersei and her inbred demon of a son still alive, while everyone else is butchered? Cersei is a fail of a mother, and Joffrey is a petulant child with a sociopathic lust for senseless gore. They both should be super-dead. Seriously, what the hell will it take? Which leads me to...


Daenerys Needs To Come and Burn Down King's Landing With Her Dragons. Now.
The only character I'm rooting for at this point is the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi, Daenerys Stormborn. She is the only character who has consistently slayed (figuratively and literally) all season. Now with the Starks out of the picture, it's time for her to take her Unsullied and storm the Iron Throne with her three badass dragons. I would greatly appreciate it if she fed Joffrey to one of them, just for kicks. They're growing dragons, I'm sure they are hungry.


No comments:

nrelate