Thursday, October 6, 2011

In Memoriam: Steve Jobs


I am currently writing this post on a MacBook Pro, one that I purchased two years ago in preparation for going to college. As I look around my classroom, the computers that are out are Macs, as are the computers in the basement of Trinity College's library.

Sitting in my bag in my room is my first generation iPad. Sitting in my coat pocket is my iPhone 4. Sitting in someone else's pocket is my iPhone 3GS, stolen from me during my Thanksgiving break last year. Of the six people sitting in the front row of my class, I know that three people have an iPhone on them, myself included. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the people in my row have one.

Steve Jobs, the founder and driving force of one of the most important companies in the world, died yesterday after a long struggle with pancreatic cancer. He was more than just Apple Inc.'s Chairman and CEO. His vision, to marry technology with humanity, revolutionized how everyone interacted with their devices. Because of him, we developed over time a genuine, vested interest in the products we purchased. While some companies and technological purists would criticize Apple for oversimplifying the technological experience, he simply made it accessible, allowing people who would never touch a computer before swiping across screens with two fingers. He essentially drove tech advancements for decades, being five steps ahead of the competition. Even today, two days after the iPhone 4S announcement, companies are still trying to catch up to the two year old iPhone 3GS.

His true legacy, what will make him a legend for centuries to come, is how he changed the course of culture. He redefined how we listened to music, watched movies, surfed the Internet, and produce documents. He didn't just oversee the creation of the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad; he understood how these products could break through the public consciousness and genuinely restructure our engagement with media.

The passing of Steve Jobs is more than just the end of an era for Apple, and even for technology. His death is the end of an era for the world, a world that was transformed significantly by his creativity and perfection.

May he rest in peace.

No comments:

nrelate