Thursday, June 9, 2011

Beyonce's "Love On Top" Is A Modern Motown Twist

Unless you accidentally kicked your Ethernet cable out of the wall this week, you know that Beyonce's album 4 has leaked three weeks in advance.

Of course, I've spun through the album, minus the singles (I still have "Best Thing I Never Had" on heavy rotation) to see whether Beyonce has completely lost the plot. An album review is coming later (and will be posted first on Blogcritics.com), but for now, I thought I would hone in on my favorite track from the album.

The track is "Love On Top", and it is one of the album's true great surprises. After the reggae electropop of "Run The World (Girls)", I had quite a few ideas about what the album would sound like (all of which lead to a mess). I certainly did not anticipate that she would take a visit to Hitsville USA. I'm glad she did, because although "Love On Top" is a obvious tribute to the effortless Motown era, it sounds very current and refreshing. It appears that Beyonce found inspiration in sister Solange's 2008 album Sol-Angel and the Hadley Dreams, which was a critical darling for its re-imagination of the 60's sound.

"Love On Top" is also a very nice change of pace from the anger present in "Run The World" and "Best Thing I Never Had". Beyonce sings about finally being put first by her lover, and if the joyous, passionate energy of her voice is any indication, she is very satisfied. She's so happy, in fact, that she pushes the song's key up with every chorus repeat, hitting some incredible high full voice notes.

It's doubtful that this song will ever see the light of radio play (it seems program directors are obsessed with mindless club filler), which in itself is proof of Beyonce's riskiness. "Love On Top" is proof that, despite the troubling lead-up, 4 is an album to look forward to, even if to just see how far pop's biggest diva is willing to push herself.

Check the song out below and share with me your thoughts in the comments.

2 comments:

LINDSAY said...

I listened to the album and I still am listening to it. It is what u would expect from Beyonce... at the moment im loving 'Love on top'. I love the beat, the high notes, it is brilliant. Its not one of da hit singles on da album but I hope dat it may somehow make its way on to radio, video and the charts and if it does 'Love on top' must tear up da charts! 'Party' with Kanye West and Andre 3000 is also a must listen to!

Unknown said...

I would love it if "Love On Top" was a single, but I doubt it, especially considering what they've released already

nrelate