Friday, July 30, 2010

X Factor Winner Joe McElderry Comes Out


Last year's winner of The X Factor Joe McElderry has announced that he is gay.

After months of speculation since winning the British talent show in December, the 19-year old singer revealed the truth in an exclusive interview with the UK's Daily Mirror.

About his announcement, he said "I'm really happy, I now know who I am".

Before, he has always told people that he was straight, but finally realized that he was attracted to men about three weeks ago. He also told his mother as recently as last week, who has been very supportive of his decision.

Pop singer Joe McElderry has come out
in an interview with the Daily Mirror
Joe also said: “I’ve had time to think about things. I wasn’t attracted to anyone anyway, male or female. It never really entered my head I was gay. But I just know. It’s how I feel.”

Despite his announcement, he also said that he isn't actively looking for a boyfriend at the moment, since he is so busy. However, he doesn't rule out a chance at finding a "Mr. Right".

Last Christmas, Joe McElderry became the first ever X Factor winner to lose out on the Christmas number one single, thanks to a Facebook campaign to place Rage Against The Machine's "Killing In The Name" at the top. His single "The Climb" hit #1 the next week. His album is due out at the end of the year. He is currently working with popular producer Dallas Austin on the record, as seen in the picture above.

Being so young and in the public eye, it was very brave of him to come out the way he did. Kudos to Joe and I'm really looking forward to his new album. With a voice like his, he is easily better than 70% of the male singers out there, so he should have no problem becoming a chart smash (and as easy as the comparison is to make, especially now, he does seem fit to follow in Will Young's footsteps).

Now, if you have absolutely no clue who I'm talking about, check out this performance during last season's X Factor of "Where Do Broken Hearts Go"

No comments:

nrelate