Monday, July 7, 2008

Download of the Day 7/07: Keri Hilson's "Energy"


When I learned that Keri Hilson, the woman behind "The Way I Are", was releasing a single, I honestly wasn't that interested. I figured that it would say much like a Timbaland production, which pretty much filled music for 2006 (2007 belonged to Stargate). However, in a smart move, they played the song during the VCAST commercials before the movies began.

So, after hearing snippets of the song a few times, I finally decided to check it out. It turns out that either Timbaland is expanding his musical repitoire or he isn't on the track at all. The piano melody and the synthesized drum beats are something I can honestly say I haven't heard on radio recently, which makes "Energy" pretty fresh and new.

Lyrically, its about a girl trying to understand went wrong with her relationship, and now it's taking all of her "energy" to keep working. The words are very cool, and Keri sounds great singing them. She definitely attempts to show off her range, something she couldn't do on "The Way I Are" and it is impressive.

For someone losing all their energy, Keri definitely put together a power-filled track.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

nrelate