Thursday, May 22, 2008

Song Premiere: David Cook's "Time of My Life"

It's time for the American Idol debut single!

David Cook, who took home the Idol crown in a surprise result, has released his first single "Time of My Life" on iTunes this morning.

Before I heard it in full (he performed it last night, but I was too shocked to pay attention), I expected two things: corny as hell lyrics and Daughtry-style arrangement.

Imagine how surprised I was when the single met both of the expectations and then some!

Like 4 out of the 6 Idol coronation songs before it, "Time of My Life" is a generic piece of crap undeserving of its fantastic singer.

Some of the lyrics are absolutely ridiculous (And looking for that magic rainbow on the horizon? GMAB). I almost wish they let the contestants who can write their own songs; it has to be better than this.

Nevertheless, David Cook does his best to sound cool singing it. There is no denying he has a fantastic voice that will definitely carry him. Unfortunately, even those great vocals aren't masking what the song sounds like: a reject off of Chris Daughtry's 3x platinum debut. In fact, it sounds as if someone ripped parts of "Home" and "Feels Like Tonight" and put new lyrics to it. There is no resemblance of Cook's trademark individuality, the same that brought him success with songs from Mariah and Andrew Lloyd Webber. I can't believe I'm typing this, but it sounds like it could be anyone singing it.

This is not a crack against Cook, because he is fantastic and deserved to win. Its unfortunate that his song has to join "This Is My Now", "Do I Make You Proud", "Inside Your Heaven", "Flying Without Wings" and "This is the Night" in AI's "Winning Songs of Trash". Shame on that stupid songwriting contest for turning the most creative contestant in Idol history into a generic pop/rock singer.

Hopefully, his album (due out in October/November) will be more the real David Cook.

Rating: 6/10

Stream coming soon!

No comments:

nrelate