Saturday, April 19, 2008

Keeping An Open Mind.....Mika

image I like a lot of music, and I am open to trying different things. When I don't get a song or artist that everyone else seems to adore, I try my damndest to understand.

That's the case with Lebanese singer Mika.

When I first "Grace Kelly", I hated it. I thought there was too much going on, and Mika's shockingly high falsetto nearly put me in a coma.

Then I realized his album Life in Cartoon Motion has sold 5 million copies worldwide (300,000 in the US). So, I listened to it again. I didn't hate it, but I still couldn't see it on my iPod.

I tried a few other of his songs, "Love Today" and "Relax, Take It Easy". I had a similar reaction. His songs were so happy, so positive, and incredibly annoying. I'm a positive person, but Mika is like "Santa Claus on Prozac" (Phoebe from Friends). I figured that if this is what his album is going to be, I couldn't enjoy it.

The next song I tried was "Happy Ending". The title was really misleading because I was expecting some happy pop record. In fact, I got a sad, soft, great ballad. After listening to the whole track, I realized the song was amazing, and so was Mika. When he stripped off the craziness, it exposed a deep talent, one that is definitely not done expressing himself.

I still have to get used to the usual hyper-pop Mika, but I do realize now that he is one of the most innovative artists in music today.

 

Have an artist you think I should "Keep An Open Mind"? Email me at brandonsbestworst@gmail.com!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was a nice blog you wrote.. it is nice to see that you took the time to listen to the other songs that are not so popular... but oh so worth it. mika is right.. you either love him or you f****ing hate him lol ;o)

signed: chicken tonight ;o)

nrelate