Monday, November 26, 2012

I'm Kind of Obsessed with Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble"

4/5

There are quite a few things I could live without, one of them being Taylor Swift (even though I consciously nominated her for Artist of the Year). Frankly, I find her insistence on acting about three years younger than she actually is very annoying ("Today was a Fairytale" was the straw that broke the camel's back for me).

However, I will freely admit that she has a knack for writing the most irresistible hooks in pop music today, hence my inability to get her latest single out of my head.

"I Knew You Were Trouble" is the most unabashedly pop record she has released to date, with its dubstep influences, particularly within the chorus. The verses bare a resemblance to her signature hit "You Belong with Me", with a lot more sass then we're used to from the country princess. But again, the song's money spot lies in the hook, which is virtually impossible to remove from your head. Seriously, even walking through campus I find myself singing the chorus's first line. Swift does a great job of using dubstep to push the song along and giving it a very strong rhythm. Instead of just making a dubstep song, she makes dubstep work for her, which speaks volumes to the artistry that has won her so many accolades. Her voice definitely isn't the strongest card she has, but it doesn't matter much when you consider her contemporaries in the pop field.

At the ends of the day, Taylor Swift is one of the most reliable artists in music, not just in sales (she's already sold 2 million copies of Red in the US alone) but in her artistic identity. I would be more accepting of her if she grew up a bit, but if this song is any indication, she's already doing that, so who knows? I might just pick up a copy of her album.

Enjoy Taylor Swift? Vote for her in the 2012 BWU Awards!

No comments:

nrelate