Tuesday, May 31, 2011

iPhone Follies: Discovering "Change" with the Sugababes (and some help from Subway and Twitter)

If there's one negative word that I can freely admit describes me to the letter. it's "sap".

I prefer words like "sentimental" or "emotional" or "reflective", but I can understand the intent behind it and how it applies to me.

I'm someone who relishes in two things: overanalyzing my life, and a really good ballad. When the two converge into one another, it creates one of those moments of absolute clarity, erasing whatever indecision or doubt I had about the choices in my life.

I just had one of those moments, in the Subway restaurant by my apartment, while I was listening to my Top 200 playlist. I was flipping through my Twitter timeline when I saw multiple mentions of the Sugababes. I was compelled to go to my playlist and pick the highest track of theirs on the list.

File:Sugababes change1.jpgThat song was "Change".

Released in 2007 from the album of the same name, I regard as one of their best singles. Not just because they sound amazing together, but because the chorus may be one of the best of any girl group ever. It all lies with that killer last line: "Ain't it crazy how you think you got your whole life planned, just to find out it was never ever in your hands...change..."

Hearing that really made me think a lot about the changes in my life, past and future. It's kind of crazy to think about how different my year would've been without the changes I made to my life, like getting involved in SGA, the dynamics of some of my friendships, and getting my first credit card. Lord knows the latter decision ended up being a doozy.

There have been a lot of changes in my life this past year, with both good and bad results. However, I know that all of them have contributed to the person typing on this iPhone at the moment. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but that person isn't too shabby considering everything.

So when I hear that last line, I think about how those changes were meant to happen. How, even if the immediate consequences were good and bad, it all worked out in the long run for me, and it will continue to do so.

I guess you can interpret that whole thing, and the Sugababes song for that matter, as a commentary on fate. Ironically, I believe in fate, but it took Subway, Twitter, and one of the best songs from a hot mess of a British girl group go help me truly understand it.

Told you I was a sap, huh?

Songs listened to while writing this post:
Change - Sugababes
Untouchable - Girls Aloud


Listen to "Change" by the Sugababes below:


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

nrelate