Sunday, June 8, 2008

Download of the Day 6/8: Solange's "I Decided"

I've gotta admit, I have thought much of Solange Knowles.

Like many people, I only knew Solange through her megastar sister Beyonce, and that is who we focused on. I didn't even know that Solange released an album until just recently.

Well, if this song is any indication, then it looks like Solange can finally step out of her sister's shadow.

Solange already gets points over Beyonce for creativity. This song is like nothing else on the radio, which is quite exciting. It's like a throwback to the 60's while sounding very contemporary. I was impressed by the sound she is trying to cultivate. I was also impressed by her voice, which is also nothing like Beyonce. Hers is a bit more distinctive and even has a touch more soul than her sister (not to say that Beyonce can't blow a song out of the water).

What really makes this song awesome is the video. It is probably one of the best music videos I have seen in years. The video is like a timeline, showing Solange in different music eras. Its hyper-creative, with little clips of historical events and cool cinematography. I hate to compare again, but Beyonce NEVER did this!

With this single, I may consider checking out Solange's sophomore effort. I think its great that she is willing to look outside the box to differentiate herself from the rest.

Rating:8.3/10


No comments:

nrelate